The variety of ingredient possibilities in a michelada is near infinite, and each individual will inevitably have their favorite type.
That said, here is a fairly straight-forward and standard recipe you can make at home.
You can control the spicy level by using more or less hot sauce as desired. If preferred, you can also add 1/2 ounce of clamato to the mixture.
What you will need:
- 1 bottle of Mexican lager beer (Modelo, Dos XX, Pacifico etc.)
- 3/4 ounces of fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounces of tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce (Tapatio, Valentina, Cholula etc.)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of black pepper
- Kosher salt (for rim)
- Tajin (for rim)
- Lime (for garnish)
- Place the kosher salt and Tajin on a plate and stir together with a fork to combine.
- Rim glass with salt/Tajin mixture.
- In a shaker, combine the tomato juice, fresh lime juice, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and black pepper. Close shaker and mix. (If you do not have a cocktail shaker, you pour the ingredients in the bottom of your glass and stir.)
- Pour the mixture into the rimmed glass. Garnish with fresh lime.
- Add the beer of your choice and you’re all set!